'Tis the season for colds and flus!
This herbal cough syrup combine the healing power of three (or more, if desired) natural ingredients to help squelch coughs, boost immunity and treat sore throats.
Honey is not only a natural antibiotic, it has been found to effectively treat coughs and sore throats with its calming and antiinflammatory properties. Licorice helps to coat the throat and ease soreness, while Thyme packs an antiviral & antimicrobial punch. The dream team!
Making this herbal syrup is easy…
1. In a small pot over low heat combine 500 ml natural honey (Manuka is best), 3 prongs of licorice root and a small bundle of fresh, organic thyme on the stem.
2. Simmer these ingredients on low for about 1 hour.
3. Remove from heat, cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to sit for as long as possible (ideally overnight).
4. When you're ready to strain, do so using a cheesecloth or small sift (pictured above) into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Ensure all herbal material is removed from the syrup.
5. Store in a cool, dry place and take 1 tsp at a time as needed.
Optional add ons:
Glycerine - the recipe above will yield a very thick syrup, to create a more viscous cough syrup, use half vegetable glycerine & half honey as your base (250 ml of each).
Ginger Root - to add even more medicinal action to your syrup, you can peel and chop a small knob of organic ginger root and add in during the simmer as well. Ginger will help address inflammation and any kind of stomach upset or nausea.< /div>